Sep 30, 2010

"You shimmer, and you glow."

Why Shimmer and Glow
Well, The memory is rather vague, and rather fleeting, but the other day I recalled where ‘Shimmer and Glow’ originated. Would you like to take a journey with me in my sparkling time machine? 
Let us trip back to the mid-to-late nineties. I’ve just discovered that all my friends are talking to each other online, and have snazzy Hotmail accounts. I’m a little behind the times. I’ve never been computer-minded, and our home computer was a virtual electronic typewriter (Actually, I had one of those). This hotmail business had me fascinated. Being a teenager, it goes without saying that if all my friends have something, I’m probably going to want it too. (Even though my teenaged inner zen monk would attempt to reassure you that I was in no way materialistic.) 
...So I sit down at a PC in the school library one lunch time with my friends. A couple of us are eager to get up with this new fan-dangled technology. Everyone is coming up with awesome usernames. Well, at least, I thought they were. How could I possibly come up with something other than my name? Lets just refine the focus on our time machine; and the answer to my user name dilemma and my shimmering identity will all become clear!!
In our English class we’d been studying the movie “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” as our ‘text to film’. My favourite name in the world at the time had to be Lasse Hallström. I’d decided Lasse must be one pretty cool guy. Or girl. I wasn’t sure. (Turns out Lasse is a man, Lars Sven, actually. Oh, how exotic his name was to me!) 
Without offering you an entire synopsis of the film (Which features the handsome Johnny Depp and a young Leonardo DiCaprio) I’ll cut to the chase. (Partly because I cannot remember the plotline.) So, direct movie quote: 

Momma: You're my knight in shimmering armor. 
              Did you know that? 
Gilbert:   I think you mean shining. 
Momma: No shimmering. You shimmer, and you glow.
He shimmers? He glows? Well didn’t that line just melt my young romantic heart. 
And so it was born. It wasn’t so much that I was taken by all that girly shimmering. It was the image that was conjured in my mind. the image stuck with me as my email handle, and through now to what it is today. 
Thanks Momma. Thanks Gilbert. Thanks Mr Hallett, my year nine English teacher. (Also for those excellent grades. Jolly good job on that, sir.)

Image credit: Depp Impact

2 comments:

  1. I love this story! So gorgeous. Every time I write you an email now I'll HAVE to smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Thank you, lovely!

    (Also, evidence that I was an awesome student, right?) :D

    ReplyDelete