Mar 30, 2013

30


 I imagine that people beyond thirty might laugh at silly little 29 year olds who have arrived at a crisis right on time. With all that knowledge under their belts about life, love and other mysteries, I'm certain they look at me and my little 29.9 with a kind of smug, dark delight. "Still so young!" some will marvel, "bitch let herself go" others will joke.  "You should be having the time of your life, honey. Trust me."

Over the past twelve months, I've noticed that a lot of my favourite interweb people are turning 30. (Confirmation bias that I follow many people my age?) Some of them with the most lavish, spectacular, hashtagged parties. Then I reflect on my own situation and wonder... am I doing it wrong?

Many of my friends are already over thirty. Families, responsibilities, proper grown up stuff, sans training wheels. I do suppose that even as a teen I thought that by thirty I would have my proverbial poop together. And in a round-about way, I do. Yet I still feel like I am learning to fly.

(Hello, awesome hair. Lady on the left & Ms. Birthday Girl, you are both brilliant!)
Cliches a go-go: 

Stop trying to run before you can walk.

Be you.

What I must remember is that the day I turn thirty will be no different to any other. All I should really allow it to trigger is a re-inspiration of desire to live my best life, to create and to become all that I dream to be. So where ever you are in your journey, celebrate who you are, all that you have achieved, and all that you are yet to achieve. It wont all be easy, but it will all be worth it.

He who would learn to fly one day 
must first learn to stand and walk 
and run and climb and dance;
one cannot fly into flying. 
 
Friedrich Nietzsche





No comments:

Post a Comment